Thandhai - Anise Flavoured Fruit-and-Nut Shake
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes
YIELD: one litre/quart
- 10 whole green cardamom pods
15 whole black peppercorns
51/2 teaspoons (27 ml) fennel seeds
1/2 cup (125 ml) white poppy seeds
6 teaspoons (30 ml) broken raw cashew nuts
16 blanched raw almonds
21/2 cups (625 ml) chilled water
1 teaspoon (5 ml) rosewater
5 tablespoons (100 ml) raw sugar
11/2 cups (375 ml) fresh cold milk
1. Grind the cardamom pods, peppercorns, and fennel seeds to a fine powder in a coffee mill. Set aside in a large bowl.
2. Grind the poppy seeds in a coffee mill and add to the bowl.
3. Grind the cashew nuts, almonds, and raisins to a fine paste in a food processor or blender with the aid, if required, of a little water.
4. Add the bowl of ground spices and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the water and blend for 3 - 4 minutes until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the remaining water and process for another 2 minutes.
5. Place a sieve in a bowl and line the sieve with two or three layers of cheesecloth. Pour the contents of the blender through the sieve, gathering the corners of the cheesecloth and squeezing all the liquid into the bowl (save the contents of the bag for cutlets or sauces). To this liquid, add the sugar, rosewater, and milk. Mix well and chill. Serve in chilled glasses.