PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME: 60 minutes
YIELD 7 cups:
- Roast while constantly stiring in 1 tbsp ghee for 2-3 mins 1/4 cup washed Basmati rice;
- Add and reduce on high heat to 1/3 of original volume (45 mins):
- 1 gal milk;
- 2 pints heavy cream;
- 1 1/2 cup sugar;
- (optional) 1 large pinch freshly powdered saffron;
- 6 bay leaves;
- 2 tsp freshly crushed cardamom seeds (omit if using saffron);
- 1/4 cup currants;
- Refrigerate and serve very cold. Consistancy should be just drinkable;
- Garnish with skined, toasted almonds.
- Blend 1 cup toasted almonds or pistachios with some milk before cooking;
- Flavour with one of the following:
- kewra essence.
- Camphor (add when cooking is finished).
See also Kheer