Apple and Blackberry Crumble
PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME:
- PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
BAKING TIME: 30 minutes
YIELD: enough for 6 to 8 persons
6 medium green apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
11/2 cups (375 ml) fresh blackberries (or try raspberries, loganberries, or boysenberries)
1 tablespoon (20 ml) sugar
1 tablespoon (20 ml) fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup (185 ml) raw oats
1/2 cup (125 ml) unbleached plain flour
1/2 cup (125 ml) wholemeal flour
1/2 cup (125 ml) raw sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) melted butter
1. Place the sliced apples along with a sprinkle of water in a heavy 4-litre/quart saucepan. Cook covered over moderate heat until the apples soften. Fold in the fresh berries, one tablespoon (20 ml) sugar, and lemon juice. Remove from the heat.
2. In a bowl, combine the raw oats, unbleached plain flour, wholemeal flour, raw sugar, brown sugar, and melted butter, rubbing in the butter until a coarse meal-like consistency is achieved.
3. Spread the cooked apples and berries in the bottom of a 20 cm (8-inch) ovenproof baking dish. Without pressing down, spoon on all the topping.
4. Place the dish in the top one-third of a preheated 180°C/355°F oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve hot.