Chenna (Soft Cheese Curd)
PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME:
- Heat to boiling 1 gal milk to make 20 oz chenna;
- Remove from heat;
- Slowly add the strained juice of up to two lemons or 1 to 2 cups of whey whilst stiring very gently;
- Stop adding juice as soon as curds have formed;
- Drain off whey immidiately and gently pour curds into a colander lined with cheescloth;
- Allow curds to drain for an hour or lift and roll in cheeselcoth and pat dry with towel.
Whey can be used for cooking rice and dhal.
See also: Panir, Rasgoolas, Sandesh, Pantoah; Ras Malai;