PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME:
- KCB 12.2: Carrot Cake
This moist carrot cake has a spicy, rich flavour and is iced with a vanilla cream-cheese frosting.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
BAKING TIME: 1 hour
YIELD: one 20 cm (8-inch) cake
3 teaspoons (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
11/4 cup (310 ml) milk
2/3 cup (165 ml) corn oil
2 teaspoons (10 ml) finely grated orange rind
3/4 cup (185 ml) soft brown sugar
3 teaspoons (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
11/2 cups (375 ml) wholemeal pastry flour
11/2 cups (375 ml) unbleached plain flour
11/2 teaspoons (7 ml) baking powder
11/2 teaspoons (7 ml) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
11/2 cups (375 ml) carrots, coarsely grated (packed)
1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts
250 g (9 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (60 ml) butter, softened
1/4 cup (60 ml) icing sugar
1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/355°F.
2. Add the lemon juice to the milk and sour it.
3. Cream the oil, orange rind, and sugar and add the soured milk and vanilla.
4. Sift the flours together with the baking powder, spices, and salt. Add the liquid ingredients and beat until the mixture is smooth; then add the grated carrots and the nuts.
5. Butter a deep 20 cm (8-inch) cake tin. Pour in the batter and bake at 180°C/355°F for one hour or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
6. Allow the cake to cool in the tin until it pulls away from the sides of the pan; then, holding a cake rack over the pan, reverse the pan and allow the cake to fall out onto the rack.
7. Allow the cake to cool; then carefully lift it from the rack and place it on a serving plate.
8. Cream the frosting ingredients together with a beater and frost the cake.
Use within 2 days.